Denis

Does anybody believe in afterlife?

I would like think that there is something more to life that what is presented to us in the life we live from day to day. I will not take a religious stance on this one but, scientist or christian I think that there is more out there than we know about already.

I am so thankful for your inputs guys, nice thoughts I should say. Personally, I don't believe in after life and would like to say that when we die, there is a long black tunnel without any exit.

I believe that great informational stream expects for us after death. We all will become something, that is possible to express in bunary code.

Guest vjTOM

I believe in after life and should say that we have to do only good things in real life in order to have nice after life.

^^I believe that it is complete nonsence what you have said. I do not say you are wrong, but to my mind heaven or hell is only a hallucination in our brain caused by chemicals produced by our organism before fullstop. When we die we stop getting any information. NO FEELING, NO SIGHT, NO HEARING, NO TASTE - NOTHING. absolute informational isolation - everything will not just stop, there will be nothing... I cannot describe what we feel when we stop recieving data from outer world. and the only info we get during minutes after our sensors stop working, is from inside us.

Then if we go somewhere after death, it is the only place or way fro everyone - independently of your past deeds.

I believe in after life and realize that God watches everything which is happening in the world. And after that comes Heaven or Hell.

God watches everything which is happening in the world. And after that comes Heaven or Hell.

And how do you imagine the god? An old man in the clouds?

Christians, tell me please - how could you believe in the book which have so many misses? If Adam and Eve were the first people on Earth - from where the hell other people appeared? Incest between their children was OK? Guys, please do not take an offence - this is just a question about something I do not understand, and if someone is able to explain me where am I wrong - I will take it.

Christians, tell me please - how could you believe in the book which have so many misses?

Did you come to this conclusion after studying the bible?

If Adam and Eve were the first people on Earth - from where the hell other people appeared? Incest between their children was OK?

The answer to this is quite extensive but I'll try to answer the question with a short answer.

• Adam and Eve were created. They were physically perfect and free from disease.
  • Adam and Eve disobeyed God's only request which was not to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge. God then placed a curse on them and expelled them from Eden.
  • Adam and Eve had their first two children which were Cain and Abel. They eventually had more children which intermarried and had children. Because there was very little disease originally, humans lived much longer lives than they do now and they were able to have many children.

The law against incest did not exist until Moses which can be found in Leviticus 18:6-18. Before Moses there was no law and so people did what they wanted and marriage between relatives was normal.

I believe (From my own speculation. This is not found in the bible.) that because disease and cell mutuation was getting worse with every generation that there was a law set in place to stop things from getting worse. The greatest danger of relatives having children is that genes that are defective can be multiplied. For example: take a brother and a sister, the family has a known history of heart disease. Now they both have these genes but by marrying someone from another family the chances of that other person having the same defects go down, but if the brother marries the sister the chances of the child having major heart problems are greater.

God knew this was going to happen and decided to put a stop to this and created a law against incest.

This answer may be weird to some or simply unbelievable, but until someone can come up with a better answer I'm going to stick with this one as my belief about where we came from.

Also not a christian, and support procrastinator about the bible's misses:

God knew this was going to happen and decided to put a stop to this and created a law against incest.

But why not at once? Why god have not created only two men, and after it it had to create the law against incest? Also, If the god created a man in its image and likeness - how could it create a woman which image has it taken?

By the way - in normal conditions every newborn is physically perfect and has absolutely no disease. Also the incest harms not only if you have any diseases, but because of relative blood mixing which brings out the conflict of genetic information. This related not to the certain families, but also to the whole nations - when the nation is not allowed to marry someone from other nations this will bring them to the national senescence and following degeneracy...

Then - Noa's Ark - only Noa's family has escaped, and they lived at the times when anti-incest law has alredy been applied - from where other people appeared?

About a bible - how should I understand the following: God said to Adam and Eve that if they eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge they will die the same day, while Satan being a serpent said that they would not die, but know much - and finally Adam and Eve survived - does it mean that satan told the truth and god lied?

Also, catholic bible tells that you have to prey, confess and make communion, and only after this you can be let into heaven... Well, and what should the people do if they have no physical possibility of doing all those things, for example being handicap they are doomed to burning in hell?

The hell - The god is love, but it will take you to the hell makeing you suffer eternally without any doubt just if you have not believed in it - this is more fascist like, do not you find?

Then - if the christianity is the only correct belief, what expects for those who have never heard of it? I mean now tribes which live isolated from the whole world on islads or in jungle? will they go to hell?

After all - have you seen the Zeitgeist movie? - there is the most clear explanation of who is Jesus, and what does everything he did means...

Edited by crunch
  • Like 1

But why not at once? Why god have not created only two men, and after it it had to create the law against incest?
If God would have created two men then how would they procreate?

Genesis 1 28 states: 28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Once again, the law of incest came later so that the world could populate.

Also, If the god created a man in its image and likeness - how could it create a woman which image has it taken?
Genesis 1 26 and 27 states: 26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

If you notice the passage states "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness", "Our" being plural, means that God is more than one which backs the Christian belief that God is a Trinity made up of God, The Holy Spirit and Jesus. The likeness is not in the way we look but rather how we're made up, which is body, mind and soul which makes up a trinity. God is not a man nor is he a woman, He is a spirit with no physical shape. He simply prefers being referred to as male.

God created both man and woman as we could see in the passage that I posted. That means that he has both qualities in him. Man and woman are opposites but the differences seem to compliment each other and by joining the two in matrimony the two are the closest thing to being the likeness of God.

** Please note that the topic of religion is always very sensitive. People have beliefs and what they believe is right in their eyes, which is OK. Questions have been asked about the bible and I happen to have studied and continue to study it, but in no way am I an authority on the subject. I am simply trying to answer questions on the topic in an objective manner.

The answers to the questions can be quite extensive and so I'll try to answer them one at a time. People from all faiths are welcomed to post and share what they believe. It's always interesting to hear what people have to share, especially about such a topic.

Then - Noa's Ark - only Noa's family has escaped, and they lived at the times when anti-incest law has alredy been applied - from where other people appeared?
Moses came long after Noah. After the flood the world started over. Genesis 6 5-8 states: 5 The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. 6 The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. 7 So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth

About a bible - how should I understand the following: God said to Adam and Eve that if they eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge they will die the same day, while Satan being a serpent said that they would not die, but know much - and finally Adam and Eve survived - does it mean that satan told the truth and god lied?
Here are the verses that you are referencing:

God Commands Adam

Genesis 2:17

(17) But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

The temptation of Eve by Satan

Genesis 3:3

(3) But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

Genesis 3:4

(4) And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

Genesis 3:5

(5) For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Satan is a liar and a tempter. He knew exactly what he was doing and was lying about death. Here's why: God had created Adam and Eve with no disease and without death meaning that they were immortal but as soon as they ate the fruit sin had entered into their lives and now death was part of the consequence. The death that God had mentioned was not an instant death but rather that death would be part of the consequence of disobeying Him. We now all pay the consequence for the decision that Adam and Eve took.

The reason God had placed those two forbidden trees in the garden was to provide them with the ability to choose. As humans we have free will and can choose our fate. God doesn't want us to be robots and love him out of commanding us but rather He wants us to love Him because we choose to love Him. If there were no trees then there would be no choice and we would simply be slaves and forced to obey.

Also, catholic bible tells that you have to prey, confess and make communion, and only after this you can be let into heaven... Well, and what should the people do if they have no physical possibility of doing all those things, for example being handicap they are doomed to burning in hell?
That may be the Catholic religion that states that in their book of Catechism but nowhere in the bible does it state that. The acceptance of Jesus into their lives is all that it takes. The thing is that once you do accept Him into your life you get transformed into a new being who sees things differently and who wants to pray and attend church. The gift of eternal life is free. The fact that a person does good in their lives does nothing for their acceptance into heaven. Many times people laying on their death beds and accept Jesus right before dying get accepted and are "saved".

John 3: 5 - 7 states:

5 Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You[c] must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

John 3: 14 - 15 states:

14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

and finally John 3: 16 - 18 states:

16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[f] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Wow! Some kind of religious duspute here... Let me also involve..

Actually I do not believe in god, at least in christian context, I do not think the god is something looking like human sitting on the cloud... If there is a god, it doesn't need anything being perfect creation... It doesn't need us to prey and dedicated our life to it.

Bible was written by the human, during several centuries after the possible birth of jesus and while translating it, people made lots of mistakes... This is normal, but this made bible impossible to be the 100% truth.

After watching a zeitgeist movie, which I also recommend Fabio to watch, I became ensured that religion is the tool of rule, and everything about the Christ is just allegoria...

Again, Fabio, if you have time, I advise you to watch the zeitgeist movie - it is not antichristian, but is opens up something really important, as it seemed to me...

Also

Again, Fabio, if you have time, I advise you to watch the zeitgeist movie - it is not antichristian, but is opens up something really important, as it seemed to me...

I had never heard of the movie until it was mentioned in this thread. I don't think it'll change my point of view on things but I'm opened minded to watching it. I'll comment on the movie after I watch it. Thanks for recommending it.

1) "Afterlife" How can anyone have an opinion on something they have no proof of and can only speculate on. IF........there is no afterlife, why are we all wasting so much time debating on the web the possibility? If there is and presumably it is better than we have now why wait until we die?

2) Religon is one of those topics you should not discuss either at dinner parties or on the web forums. Whatever your stance someone will be offended and it is their belief you are offending.

For my money this thread should be closed now.

I was in a car accident in 2002.I was knocked out from the accident and was imbedded in the vehicle.From what i was told, i had to be cut out with the jaws of life.Now i believe what i experienced when i was out is exactly what happens when you die.Alot of people might not agree with this but i believe nothing happens.I think it is like when you go to sleep, if you dont wake up you wouldnt know it anyways just like getting knocked out.So i am going to have to say i do not believe in a after life.

Planchit...i don't know how many of you have tried this? During our college days we used to call ghosts. It is true. We used to get replies and we have felt the presence of a super natural existence. It is spooky but true. Take care guys!!!

In the Upanishads attached to the Vedas (scriptural texts), a lot about life hereafter is discussed. It is called brahma vidya or the knowledge of the supreme self. Only it exists and all other appearances are but transitory.

I was in a car accident in 2002.I was knocked out from the accident and was imbedded in the vehicle.From what i was told, i had to be cut out with the jaws of life.Now i believe what i experienced when i was out is exactly what happens when you die.Alot of people might not agree with this but i believe nothing happens.I think it is like when you go to sleep, if you dont wake up you wouldnt know it anyways just like getting knocked out.So i am going to have to say i do not believe in a after life.

I have never had a similar experience, but I have a collegue who did. Her experience was different from yours, she said her soul was out of her body and saw other people around the cruched car trying in vain to resuscitate her.

She was not a believer in God and life after death before the accident, but changed her mind after that.

As for the question of the topic, yes, I am a Christian and believe in life after death, heaven and hell.

Re-birth also depends upon the fruition of the acts that we perform in this birth. Good actions bring good rebirth and bad actions bring bad rebirth.