Guest Desert Rose 702

How many directories?

Guest Desert Rose 702

When submitting a website to directories for backlinks, is there a limit on the number that is acceptable by search engines?

No there is not. I was told not to submit to too many in one day. But than you need to figure that not all will be excepted the same day. Some the same day and while others might take months, which I never thought was a good practice for a directory.

Guest Desert Rose 702
I was told not to submit to too many in one day
How many is "too many"? 10, 20, 50, 100? :eek:

Just concentrate on submitting to quality directories and not be too concerned about getting a link in every single directory on the web. Most of them will do you more harm than good!

Guest Desert Rose 702
Just concentrate on submitting to quality directories and not be too concerned about getting a link in every single directory on the web. Most of them will do you more harm than good!

How do I know which are "quality directories"? What I am doing now is submitting to niche and general directories listed by Dan at vilesilencer.com as I trust his judgment. However, when I finish his list, where do I go from there? :eek:

How do I know which are "quality directories"? What I am doing now is submitting to niche and general directories listed by Dan at vilesilencer.com as I trust his judgment. However, when I finish his list, where do I go from there? :eek:

Well that's the thing. The directory industry is up in the air a bit at the moment with nobody (myself included) knowing really what lies ahead for them.

One thing is for certain DMOZ, Yahoo and Business.com are all directories that if your budget can stretch to, would be well worth trying to gain a link in.

If I was you, to begin with I would perhaps look elsewhere than directories to start with and perhaps go more down the contextual route by seeking out relevant partners. (Wow, I really am selling the industry to you huh :crazy: )

my .02 is

Don't bother ;)

the updates from 2 weeks ago actually took DMOZ out of Google's index... same as Business.com and even Aviva -

So - save your time and save your money... there are a few innovators out there making their directories a real resource for marketing... while most of them are trying to sell their directories before everyone figures out that they are pretty much useless links now...

like I said there's my .02

DB

the updates from 2 weeks ago actually took DMOZ out of Google's index... same as Business.com and even Aviva -

I knew about Aviva and Alive and a few others but are you sure about DMOZ and Business.com?

Some links would be good, not that I don't believe you NeO.

The DMOZ issue has been resolved and business.com ranks third for business and it has 250 000 pages indexed. It seems that neither have any real issues.

Google is not going after directories specifically, they're going after sites that have boosted their pagerank by buying thousands of links, and for the directories that participated in that they got slapped because they were selling pagerank. This is no different than what happened to bluefind.com in 2005.

The passing of link weight is true of all sites and not only of web directories. This whole issue with directories has been blown out of proportion. The same principles apply today as they did before about linkbuilding and specifically about directories. Submit to only the ones that you think are good for the purpose of exposing your site, potential traffic and a possible link back to your site.

The manipulation of the SEs through anchored text and building hundreds of links too quickly for the purpose of ranking for specific keywords is what hurts people's sites. Then when their site gets hit with a Google Slap people blame it on the directories.

Google provides guidelines and if people were to follow them and work within those guidelines I'm sure that they'd be able to find a way to get good traffic from them.

There is no any limit of submitting the website to the directories for back links but don't submit too many in one day because it is good for your site.

They probably do notice, especially since some people surf logged into Google, which in turn Google monitors where they are going.

A better strategy woudl be to get links from places where your target audience goes on the net so your links get clicked.

i think there is no limit to submission to directories. what i regard important is that submission should be made to relevant directories, having high page rank for good results.

regards,

MichealWigham

you can submit on maximum directories as u can but always submit to high quality directories have high page rank and also check directory for SEO friendliness, for example their approved websites must have a dofollow link and the websites listed on them should be accessible by search engines

Guest seoinheritx

There is no limits to submit directory,

You can submit any amount of directories.

I would suggest that you avoid directory submission so that you don't get too many low quality backlinks. It is better to have less quality links than having too many poor quality links.

Bulk submission never boost ranking it  harm ranking instead of boosting. Directory submission should be done only pr directory site and i consider that 5 submission is enough for 1 url.

No there is not. I was told not to submit to too many in one day. But than you need to figure that not all will be excepted the same day. Some the same day and while others might take months, which I never thought was a good practice for a directory.

Thanks for your effective answer and it was my question as well.