Debbie

Weird problem... Search Nut?

Something weird is going on with my Mom's computer I think, so far haven't been able to figure it out.

I sent her this link: FAYETTEVILLE North Carolina Apartments For Rent, Search For Rental Listings Online - Village Gate Apartments , which works fine for me. When she clicked on it from her email, she got sent to some page that said "Search Nut" on it with a search box, but the URL stayed the same as the link I sent her. I had her type the URL into her address bar, and the same thing happened - right to Search Nut. Got her to the webpage I clicked to it from and when she clicked the link directly from that webpage, it STILL sent her to Search Nut. No matter how I try to get her to this URL, it sends her to Search Nut. She has tried in both IE and in Firefox.

Also, I did a search through Google for the name of the apartments plus the city state, MY results included a map with the name of the apartments plus a link to the same URL as above, which also worked fine for me. SHE did a google search for the same thing, and weird... she ended up with a YAHOO search result page, this happened in Firefox. When she did a Google search in IE, she did get the Google results, but when she clicked on the link to the site, yet again, sent to "Search Nut".

I had her download and run Spybot, which found a bunch of stuff, and we took care of what Spybot found, but it didn't fix the problem she is having. By this time, she was getting burned out on all of this (as was I) and we stopped there. She is running a virus scan now.

I can't find a thing about "Search Nut" when I looked for info on that.

Anyone have a clue about what might be going on/how to fix it? This is the only link she's ever had a problem with.

Does the link work OK for you? You should end up on an info site for an apartment complex called Village Gate Apartments.

Ok... this is weird too... I put the URL in my message, JUST the URL, and when the message posts, it puts the whole darn page title up with the link. I tried to edit it to just the link, and it still puts the whole darn page title in. Is this something new on the forums or just more weirdness?

Tell your mom to run AVG or what virus program she has.

Next delete all the cookies and try it again.

I got the search nut also.

I also got it on firefox.

That must be the name of the parked search page.

Registrant:

Rental Guide of Fayetteville

5500 EXECUTIVE CENTER DR., STE

Charlotte, NC 28212

US

(910)818-6696

It appears that this site has been hijacked to the search nut site.

So far she has run SpyBot and done an AV scan (Trend Micro). When I click the link, I go to the site I'm supposed to go to and I am using Firefox too. For her, she goes to Search Nut whether she's in IE or in Firefox, makes no difference. It's just really weird. I ended up making a screen shot of the page she would have wanted to look at there and emailed it to her.

I clicked over to this site FROM the Rental Guide of Fayetteville site. I think when apartments have a listing in the Rental Guide they also get their own site through them as well, other apts have the same setup, click link to go to the apt. website and you go to a site that looks the same as the one for this apt. complex except the details of the apt complex changes. She has clicked through to other apt info from the same site without any problem.

I'm wondering if it might be some sort of weird thing with a redirect, but even then, why would it happen to her, but not to me?

So far she has run SpyBot and done an AV scan (Trend Micro). When I click the link, I go to the site I'm supposed to go to and I am using Firefox too. For her, she goes to Search Nut whether she's in IE or in Firefox, makes no difference. It's just really weird. I ended up making a screen shot of the page she would have wanted to look at there and emailed it to her.

I clicked over to this site FROM the Rental Guide of Fayetteville site. I think when apartments have a listing in the Rental Guide they also get their own site through them as well, other apts have the same setup, click link to go to the apt. website and you go to a site that looks the same as the one for this apt. complex except the details of the apt complex changes. She has clicked through to other apt info from the same site without any problem.

I'm wondering if it might be some sort of weird thing with a redirect, but even then, why would it happen to her, but not to me?

It sounds like a cookie problem. Delete all cookies and do it again.

HIJack this is another good virus program. Very dangerous to use. Ne0 and a few of the others know how to read the put out on this. If you use this let them read the put out and they can tell you want to delete.

You said you got sent to the Search Nut page too yourweb?

I can have her delete cookies, but I'm not sure that would do anything. She is not having problems with other links, so far anyway, so I'm not sure what is going on. I'll have her run adaware too when she has time. I know about Hijack, but not really sure it's necessary yet for her to run that. She is VERY computer noobie-ish so I would actually be nervous to have her messing with much on her own, and I can't go over to her house to help because we are in different States.

I still think it might be somehow something to do with a redirect, but I'm not sure, or what to do about it if it is.

Oh well... at least she got the screen shots, so she has the info we were shooting for anyway.

You said you got sent to the Search Nut page too yourweb?

Yes I got sent to it. I tried it in IE and FF and both went to that page.

Last time this happened to me I was told to delete all my cookies and try it again. I did and it worked. Hence why I told you about the cookies.

I hope this works out for her. If it does not the only other thing I can think of at this time is that domain is the search nut domain.

When I Googled "Search Nut" I didn't find anything useful. And she didn't have a URL for the search site, or whatever it is, because the URL in the address bar stayed the same as the URL she was trying to get to. So, I really don't even have a clue what "Search Nut" really is. Is it a dessert topping or a floor wax? heh (Old SNL reference. Sorry...)

When I Googled "Search Nut" I didn't find anything useful. And she didn't have a URL for the search site, or whatever it is, because the URL in the address bar stayed the same as the URL she was trying to get to. So, I really don't even have a clue what "Search Nut" really is. Is it a dessert topping or a floor wax? heh (Old SNL reference. Sorry...)

I guess I have a choice and I will chose dessert topping. Taste better.

I know this topic is very old, but I figured out how to get rid of this problem:

If it's running Windows XP, Go to Start > Control Panel, select Network Connections. Right-click on the Internet Connection (Local Area Connection/Local Area Network, Wireless Network), click on Properties, double-click on TCP/IP, under DNS, select auto-config since the searchnut uses the 107.x.y.z and some other DNS for the search results, then click OK twice.

If it's running Vista or higher, right-click on the network icon on the TaskBar, click on Open Network and Sharing Center, click on the Internet Connection (Local Area Connection, Wireless Connection), click on properties (User Account Control) will pop-up, either click continue (Vista), or yes (seven and higher), double-click on TCP/IP v4, and as stated earlier, click on the DNS auto-config (gets DNS info from the router or ISP), and click OK twice. I had this problem earlier until I looked at my DNS settings on my network cards.

This is the only true solution I have. Also, install and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to find any other issues as well.