JASPER

Check your content stays unique!

Credit where credit is due. NeO posted a reply a week ago and gave this great site that can check if your content has been plagiarised by other sites.

I checked out one of my pages which I have allowed another site to use and it found it.

This is a really useful tool and you can upgrade to receive alerts.

Check it out at: http://www.copyscape.com/

As always NeO thanks for letting us know about these great tools.

Perhaps the mods may like to make a sticky out of this so everyone can find it and check theri sites.

Guest Desert Rose 702

Great resource, Jasper! Thanks for the reminder. I can get a lot of use out of this on my website and for my clients. :)

I remember interviewing for a company that did that back in 2000. Don't remember the name for the life of me. They asked lots of questions about regular expressions, and I was having a brain fart and couldn't remember the name of the =~ operator in Perl at the time. Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

Brian.

Ask and ye shall receive.... it's now a sticky... this is a great resource and should be used by ALL webmasters... if for nothing else to get around the duplicate content filters built into most algorithms :)

NeO

Ask and ye shall receive.... it's now a sticky... this is a great resource and should be used by ALL webmasters... if for nothing else to get around the duplicate content filters built into most algorithms :)

NeO

You are losing me!

Do you mean duplicate on your own site?

Guest Desert Rose 702

If a client pays for unique, researched content, he does not want to see that it has been stolen. What I am wondering, however, is if content is bought from a website that sells the same article over and over, are the buyers who post these articles on their sites penalized by the search engines?

If a client pays for unique, researched content, he does not want to see that it has been stolen. What I am wondering, however, is if content is bought from a website that sells the same article over and over, are the buyers who post these articles on their sites penalized by the search engines?

Good Question Terri!

and the answer is YES! Don't go out and buy info that is already on other websites... if you do, change it significantly to avoid being hit by the duplicate content filter....

I recently had a client that was #1 in the SE's for the last 9+ yrs for their major key-terms.... only to start a .co.uk website to sell their product internationally...

What ended up happening *even though they were copying their own content to a .co.uk site of their own, they got hit with the filter and dropped their main site out of Google down to Search Result page 70! (which resulted in almost a 1 mill a month loss!!!)

Content is still king... and linking is queen... but you have to keep in mind that if your using someone else's content your going to be penalized!

NeO

Good Question Terri!

and the answer is YES! Don't go out and buy info that is already on other websites... if you do' date=' change it significantly to avoid being hit by the duplicate content filter....

I recently had a client that was #1 in the SE's for the last 9+ yrs for their major key-terms.... only to start a .co.uk website to sell their product internationally...

What ended up happening *even though they were copying their own content to a .co.uk site of their own, they got hit with the filter and dropped their main site out of Google down to Search Result page 70! (which resulted in almost a 1 mill a month loss!!!)

Content is still king... and linking is queen... but you have to keep in mind that if your using someone else's content your going to be penalized!

NeO[/quote']

So it is a big no no to use your website's page content for press release articles on the web then ?

If I understand your question Jasper, here is what I usually suggest:

If you're going to do a press release that you intend to also publish on your website, just be sure to put it live on your site prior to the general release. So if I write a PR for and about TWT and it will go 'live' on PRWeb 19 Jan, I merely suggest that Fabio publish it on TWT a day or two prior.

If I understand your question Jasper' date=' here is what I usually suggest:

If you're going to do a press release that you intend to also publish on your website, just be sure to put it live on your site prior to the general release. So if I write a PR for and about TWT and it will go 'live' on PRWeb 19 Jan, I merely suggest that Fabio publish it on TWT a day or two prior.[/quote']

So you post it first on your site a day or two before you go the press release route?

Guest Desert Rose 702

Apparently, many people are not aware of this and choose to buy cheap ready-made articles from sites that sell this type of content or use free content from sites that allow this kind of use. VERY interesting and something I can use to market my unique content-writing services. Thanks for the info, NeO! :bow: ;)

Compare your site to another, or Google's index.... using file, url, or pasted text. The cool part is the report. It will give you the percentage of duplicate content, and display each duplicate phrase too.

--Melanie

That is a cool resource. Thanks for sharing Melanie

Hi there... I was reading all the posts here and was little confused.

Does this ....duplicating contents & getting in trouble.. issue ever apply to reprintable articles?

By the way, thanks for the great tip on copyscape.com!

Good resource! =)

Linda

Wow...this is a great informative post! I ran the test from the first post, and sure enough there were copies of my website found. I hadn't thought about it, but I sell some of my products wholesale to other websites, and I have even told them that they could use the information and photos from my website. It looks like that was a mistake! Of course the content was on my site first, but I'm guessing there isn't a way for the search engines to figure that out.

The specific page that showed up as being copied is actually our most important page, and maybe it's not a coincidence, but this page is in the google supplemental index. I know I have a lot of other work to do on the site (like other pages with the same metatags), and I need to build links, but I do have 1st page placement on yahoo for the main keyword for this page, but no placement at all on google.

Does anyone have suggestions for me in terms of what to do when you sell your products wholesale for other sites to sell?

Thanks,

Gene

Are you talking about an affiliate program?

Hmm...I've never called it an affiliate program. The other resellers have their own websites, and I allow them to offer my products for sale as part of their offerings. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the websites on here, so I'll refrain for now.

When they sell my products, they take the payment, and I drop ship the items to their customers.

Thanks,

Gene

Ok you run a drop shipment site than. You handle the money and shipping and I would handle the sales of the items.

Yes, but I also run a retail site selling these items, as customers can purchase directly from me. Any ideas on making sure the search engines don't see us as duplicate content?

Thanks,

Gene

Sure. Just make sure that both our sites are not the same. I would need to add a page that would give out what you offer and the prices. Make sure the pages have different content on them or make sure I would not use your page. You will find this on some sites. They get too lazy to fix up a page on their site and use yours. If this happens either offer to give them a KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID page or have them re-do theirs.

Sure. Just make sure that both our sites are not the same. I would need to add a page that would give out what you offer and the prices. Make sure the pages have different content on them or make sure I would not use your page. You will find this on some sites. They get too lazy to fix up a page on their site and use yours. If this happens either offer to give them a KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID page or have them re-do theirs.

Sounds good...thanks!

-Gene

Hi, This post of mine is very knowledgable and may enhance the information of the viewers , however I would like some specific information for myself. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,