Fabio Cuffaro

Facebook Newsfeed Changes

On January 11, 2018, Mark Zuckerberg announced that there will be changes to the content that you see in your newsfeed. The focus will now be shifting "from focusing on helping you find relevant content to helping you have more meaningful social interactions."

What does this mean for publishers? Here's Mark's answer.

"As we roll this out, you'll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media. And the public content you see more will be held to the same standard -- it should encourage meaningful interactions between people."

I share my philosophy with the companies that I work with about social networking and the importance of considering their blog as a platform to engage users with. Often, companies will focus on building their followers and content strategy for the social accounts but won't put as much effort and focus on their blog. The company's website should be considered as the center of a spoked wheel, where all efforts online point back to it. 

The content and followers on a social platform are subject to the rules and policies of the company that owns it. Companies that have business pages are subject to the same rules, and the rules keep on changing. For this reason, it is imperative for businesses and individuals with an online following to start placing more effort into their website and blog. This way, they can control the fate of their posts and followers. This does not mean that their efforts should stop on social platforms, it just means that to protect themselves, developing a strategy for their properties should be a top priority in 2018 and beyond. 

Please share your thoughts on the Facebook changes and potential strategies for publishers.

I have always wondered why some invest their whole business' internet presence on 3rd party sites.  Any of these sites could close at a moment's notice and then you would not be able to redirect your followers/customers to your new location.

In addition to the announcement referred to above Facebook has also announced that it will be adding local news to your feed to combat fake news.

In regards to the news, I think this is a good move on their part. It'll help promote local newspapers/TV stations and have news that's more relevant to the individual. 

The issue with building only on social platforms is that the list of followers is not "owned" by the publisher, it is rented, and so is the page that they are building on. Coming up with a strategy to drive traffic, engagement and increasing the newsletter subscription can be of great benefit. If ever anything goes wrong with the third-party platform, they can fall back on their blog subscribers. 

2 hours ago, Fabio Cuffaro said:

If ever anything goes wrong with the third-party platform, they can fall back on their blog subscribers. 

Not many of the small business owners I know have a blog but if they were using social media properly then yes, they would have their mailing list(s) to fall back on.