wrmineo

Why Do You Use Directories

I am compiling information from a user's point of view, not a webmaster's, on why directories are worthwhile, useful and a viable entity on the Internet.

I would appreciate any comments and even examples on the use of directories for searching, researching, etc.

I think that researching stuff on the internet is a skill that must be aquired. Most people start off by using a search engines and most of the time find what they're looking for after sifting through all the different sites. I find that if you're looking for information and are not interested in purchasing something that there's a bit of a challenge.

Being an owner of a directory has been beneficial for research purposes because I understand directory structures. This has made it much easier for me to find information on directories. Intially I must admit that I use a search engine before starting off with Massive Links but depending on what I'm look for I'll just start off with Massive Links and then move onto Dmoz.

What I like about directories is that you have a list of sites that are there that have been reviewed and so you can expect some sort of quality control. There's no sifting through commercial sites and information sites because they are properly sorted out by category. If you want to purchase something it usually starts off in the shopping category, if it's b2b then you usually start off in the Business category and if it's simply information it's usually all the other categories.

When I use a directory for research I'll usually start off by searching the term and then look for the category that looks most relevant for the term. When I find the category I have a whole list of sites that are relevant to that term. Most directories will offer in their search results the category from where the listing is placed.

Having a collection of websites in neatly formed and categorized format always helps. I suppose I use them a bit like a search engine. I find a category of interest and then move through.. ;)

• Like 1

From a users stand point, IMHO directories are worthless.

Yeh I sort of share the same view. I rarely use them. But when I do thats how I use them..

I'd have to agree with Comdial...

For your research... I'd never really use them,

as far as SEO goes... I only use them for inbound links...

$0.02

db

Directory submission is very important to get the quality back links, traffic and high PR. It is the oldest techniques of SEO.You have to write quality, original and topic related contents in it and you have to submit your site in high PR directories.