Fabio Cuffaro

Have You Upgraded to Windows 10?

This past weekend I took the plunge and upgraded to Windows 10. I was hesitant to upgrade due to privacy concerns. I read some articles on how to disable most of them, but I still have some concerns that information is being sent. 

Overall, I don't see much difference in terms of performance compared to Windows 8.1. It's nice to have the Start button again. Though Windows 8.1 did have a Start button, Windows 10 is closer to the traditional start button. In Windows 8.1 I had to stop the Windows Search Indexer due to it hindering performance, and unfortunately, I had to do it again in Windows 10.

Have you. or will you be upgrading to Windows 10 anytime soon? If you have, do you like it?

So, I decided to buy a Mac today. I'm a little tired of Windows and wanted to try something new. I've been avoiding buying Mac for a long time. I figured it's worth a try.  

I've been using it now for a couple of hours and so far, so good. The OS is smooth, easy to use and performance is really nice. 

Wary of upgrading to Win10 because we use some old software that I am worried won't work after the upgrade.

I was contemplating switching to Mac a few years ago but couldn't afford the investment to change the whole office over at the time.  Still can't :(

I chose to go with the Mac Mini. I have dual display, so there was no need for additional monitors. It also allowed me to minimize the cost of switching over. I didn't want to invest too heavily at first, seeing that I have no experience with Mac and wasn't sure if I would have liked it.

In your case, I can understand. If you have several computers to switch over, it can be quite the investment.

Bugger me I'm the expert for once!

I bought a brand spanking new Desktop PC an HP 550-154na with Windows 10 factory installed (no upgrade required!)

First thing I noticed was it was a bot different to Windows 10 upgraded from 8.1.

Window 10 is much much better than 8.1 in my opinion. Not sure how to get it all to work as I am used to in XP but learning.

I have a 128GB SSD which everything goes to by default which is annoying. I want my files in the 1TB hard disc. I have moved them but each time I go to open it starts off with the SSD Documents not the data disc!!

Re programs working, I have not found ANY programs that wont work in Windows 10.  I am using Office 1997 and apart from Outlook it all works fine.

Also Quicken 2004 which I thought may be a problem works too. It seems there is a compatibility function in Windows 10 that helps them work.

You got Office 97 to work?  That is interesting.  We have a bunch of Excel spreadsheets done in Office 2000 we are nervous of loosing because the Win10 tester says it does not support Office 2000.

Yes Office 1997 works all except for OUTLOOK. I used to use Outlook Express on old PC which I loved.

I have tried with Office 2013 which will take some learning buy cant get it activated.

Is Keysonlineshop.com safe and legit?

Not sure about that site for the keys.  I would think that if they are way cheaper than other stores they probably are not.  I would think that MS and others have a Min. Retail price.