JASPER

Mobile website .htaccess and re directs

I am building a new mobile website using this sub domain  www.m.brand-newhomes.co.uk.

1) Can I have an .htaccess file in this sub domain root as well as on the main website URL root?

2) Re directs. Is there any point with these?

People using a mobile and searching will find my mobile version listed by Google in the results.

All the pages linked in this version will be available for the mobile version.

As it is (with no re directing) the main website is still displayed in search results on Tablets which is what I want. Any re directing may change this.

I was thinking of using the re direct code shown here: http://webdesignandsuch.com/redirect-to-a-mobile-site-with-htaccess-and-set-a-cookie-to-break-redirect/

Any views and opinions on mobile re directing?

To start with, having 2 sites (main and mobile) is a lot of maintenance.  Google also suggested that a responsive approach would be their first choice.

The instructions in the referenced article say to put the redirect instructions in the .htaccess file in the root of your website, not the subdomain.  It also notes be careful not to overwrite your existing .htaccess file if you have one.

Note:  Google has noted when people have gone with the two sites approach they are forgetting to fix all the links in the pages so they link to the mobile version instead of the main website version.

Faulty Redirects

This happens most often if you have separate mobile URLs because it forces you to redirect mobile users on each desktop URL to the right mobile URL. Unfortunately, many companies do this wrong and send every mobile user to the desktop homepage, for example, which is incorrect because that isn’t what the mobile user asked for when he/she clicked.

How to fix it: The solution here is easy: Use a responsive web design. This will automatically serve the same content for both desktop and smartphone users. You can also check the Smartphone Crawl Errors of your Webmaster Tools and you can simply see if any faulty redirects were detected.

Top 7 Mistakes With Mobile Friendly Web Design

http://smallbiztrends.com/2015/03/top-7-mistakes-with-mobile-friendly-web-design.html

Note:  Google has noted when people have gone with the two sites approach they are forgetting to fix all the links in the pages so they link to the mobile version instead of the main website version.

I have copied my main website file in my web design software and re named it "Mobile".

In the Mobile version I changed the URL to the sub domain in "site properties" so all the internal links (which were hyperlinked as a "site page" not "Internet page") now go to the new mobile sub domain not the previous Desktop URL version.

I cannot see any point of any re directing at all.

No one looking for my site on a mobile phone is going to find the desktop version anyway so why the need to re direct for mobiles.