WiseWebmaster

Is Your Site Mobile Friendly? - Google Ranking Factor as of Apr 21 2015

I checked my main Home Page and it said:

Reasons this page is not mobile-friendly

Text too small to read          Well yes it would be on a 3" screen!
Mobile viewport not set        I don't know what this is?
Links too close together       better than no links!
Content wider than screen   Screen smaller than content?  On my mobile it does all fit and on my tablet (which is mobile!) it is great and usable.

Like everything else Google does it jumps in without sorting it own systems out  first!

If I get another Penguin on 21 April 2015 I will bloody give up with websites altogether!

It also said:

How Googlebot sees this page

This page uses 4 resources which are blocked by robots.txt. The results and screenshot may be incorrect. Learn how to unblock resources for Googlebot.

Show resources

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Not exactly helpful!  The resources are Goggle generated!

LOL.

Ok, now let's get serious.

Some of this stuff you should do for the desktop version also.

Text too small to read Well yes it would be on a 3" screen!

Get rid of fixed font size and use flexible font size.  They prefer 100%.

Mobile viewport not set I don't know what this is?

You need to add the viewport line to the head of your pages.
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=2.0, user-scalable=yes" />
(without the space and / if you are using HTML5)

You need to link to a mobile CSS file.
<link media="handheld, only screen and (max-width: 480px), only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)" href="css/mobile.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />
(again without the space and / if using HTML5)

Links too close together better than no links!

Create padding around your links, especially in a vertical navigation bar.

Content wider than screen Screen smaller than content? On my mobile it does all fit and on my tablet (which is mobile!) it is great and usable.

They are talking about fixed layout or a failed flexible design that creates horizontal scroll.

This page uses 4 resources which are blocked by robots.txt. The results and screenshot may be incorrect.

Tough titty.  I block stuff and still passed my own stuff, not 3rd party stuff.  Ya it's kind of ironic that they get mad at how their own stuff is blocked from bots.

And are we talking about Home Page URls only as the Google mobile checker doesnt appear to work for internal pages!

I added this bit of code to the Hoem Page

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">

and now that comes out as "failed to fetch the requested url" too.

Get rid of fixed font size and use flexible font size.  They prefer 100%.

HOW DO I DO THIS?

You need to add the viewport line to the head of your pages.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=2.0, user-scalable=yes" />

(without the space and / if you are using HTML5)

OK AS YOU CAN SEE FROM MY LAST POST I HAVE MADE SOME PROGRESS ON THIS.

You need to link to a mobile CSS file.

<link media="handheld, only screen and (max-width: 480px), only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)" href="css/mobile.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

(again without the space and / if using HTML5)

WHAT WOULD BE IN THE css.mobile.css FILE?

Create padding around your links, especially in a vertical navigation bar.

HMMM.. MAY BE WORTH MAKING THE VERTICAL NAV BARS FATTER.

They are talking about fixed layout or a failed flexible design that creates horizontal scroll.

Tough titty.  I block stuff and still passed my own stuff, not 3rd party stuff.  Ya it's kind of ironic that they get mad at how their own stuff is blocked from bots.

Flexible font size e.g.  font-size: 90%;  NB: you will have to remove all your on page styling related to font size for this to work.  CSS is read:

• External stylesheet
  • Internal stylesheet
  • Inline styles

You have to put both lines for the mobile stuff.

Mobile CSS would have the tweaks required for devices below 480px wide.

Flexible font size e.g.  font-size: 90%;  NB: you will have to remove all your on page styling related to font size for this to work.  CSS is read:

• External stylesheet
  • Internal stylesheet
  • Inline styles

You have to put both lines for the mobile stuff.

Mobile CSS would have the tweaks required for devices below 480px wide.

All of the above way beyond my capabilities.  I am not a coder.

I use a WYSIWYG web design package and all the HTML5 is done by the program.

I can't change it without cutting and pasting in notepad and transferring each saved html page file using ftp.  It would take forever.

As this update is supposed to only affect searches made on mobiles, it is really not worth the shed load or work that will be involved.

I realise mobiles are used by many but I believe that websites are much better read using PC, Laptop and Tablets, min screen size 7".

I could be wrong, but with the market you are in, I would think new home buyers would be searching for some information while on the road in between open house visits.

I could be wrong, but with the market you are in, I would think new home buyers would be searching for some information while on the road in between open house visits.

You could be!

Buying a new home and not researching what will be the biggest purchase of your life beforehand, leaving it until you are actually out and about?

On the other hand, most new home buyers don't find or look for the website until after they have bought and made a huge mistake.

If I got revenue from the website that even reflected the work I have put into building it over the last nine years, it may be worth the trouble of getting it "mobile friendly"  but I barely cover my costs.

No one really knows what it will end up like but we know when.

I now can see the end in sight with "just" 48 pages to go for my mobile version!