App software

7 replies to this topic

#1 JASPER

JASPER

• Members
  • 2,365 posts
  • LocationSussex, England

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:09 AM

I have a reasonably good idea for an APP and have had a quick look for free software.

Most of what I have seen has some drawbacks such as:

1) Charging a huge (£9) monthly fee (twice my existing hosting costs)

2) Requiring advertising which they keep revenue for

3) Not listing on Google Play or Apple store

4) Not allowing you to charge for your APP.

I have no idea how many APPS I will sell, it could be huge it could be 20 a month!  I only intend to charge £0.45  which I think is fair.  

I have no idea how they work or how to set them up. It looks like HTML5 versions of website pages hosted on my server?

What I want to do is to have a mathematical calculator type widget.

I am not expecting the APP software to provide me it for nothing and would share revenue.

Any ideas anyone?

#2 WiseWebmaster

WiseWebmaster

• Super Moderators
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:05 PM

I personally have not looked into building an app yet.  I did find this post from Mashable though: 10 Excellent Platforms for Building Mobile Apps  Some of the sites listed start at free.

There is a bunch of link dropping in the comments if you want more ideas. ;)

When someone says to do something without quoting a trusted reliable source, ask for verification or go research the info yourself to verify the advice will not get you in trouble. The search engine guidelines is a good place to start.

#3 JASPER

JASPER

• Members
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for that WW, you always know where to look.

I think AppMakr looks the best bet.

But to do it properly, commercially its going cost me I think.

#4 WiseWebmaster

WiseWebmaster

• Super Moderators
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

You are welcome.  Good luck with your project.  Let us know which way you decided to go finally.

When someone says to do something without quoting a trusted reliable source, ask for verification or go research the info yourself to verify the advice will not get you in trouble. The search engine guidelines is a good place to start.

#5 WiseWebmaster

WiseWebmaster

• Super Moderators
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

Jasper,

Skip down to the section of this article titled Mobile Apps 23 New Resources on Optimizing for Mobile  There is a list of articles about whether your site needs an app or not.

#6 JASPER

JASPER

• Members
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:57 AM

I have built the app and you can play with it here or download it to an android device.
It is a property tax calculator. http://yournewhome.a...pdutycalculator
problem is it has this warning

Do you want to install this application? It will get access to:
Privacy
Take pictures and Videos
Gps
Modify and delete contents of USB storage
Read google service configuration.
Device access
WiFi – Full network access      View network connections    View WiFi connections
Control vibration
Test access to protected storage

AppMkr say it is so whatever app is made it will cover all eventualities, even though mine doesn't need any of this. 
It may certainly put people off downloading it.

I have got an HTML5 website program, I ended up upgrading my Serif webplus as I am used to it now and the forum is very helpful.
So it should work on all mobile devices once I have finished updating the design and uploading.

Edited by WiseWebmaster, 10 January 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#7 WiseWebmaster

WiseWebmaster

• Super Moderators
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

I don't know much about apps but if I was a beginner adding apps to my device that notice would definately put me off.

#8 JASPER

JASPER

• Members
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:37 AM

I don't know much about apps but if I was a beginner adding apps to my device that notice would definately put me off.

It does!  I wouldn't even download it to my own tablet!

Just my mobile phone - just in case!

You have to wonder how these free app sites make their money.

OK a little from the adverts I dont mind, but possibly selling e  mail addresses etc, no thanks!

The "app" is sort of on the back burner at the moment as I want to get my website re designed and uploaded with HTML5

I have been putting this off for about 9 months now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users