Sign in to follow this  
JASPER

Can big business stop a small site appearing in first page

I am wondering if big business, in my case plc house builders, could do anything that would affect my website's standing in search results and serps.

I am not sure what they could do, apart from buying advertising and links by the thousand to displace my website. It appears original content counts for little when it comes to serps for new home and property related  keywords.

With the current demand for new homes in the UK my site should be flying, I had waited six years for the market to improve yet its still the same level if visitors it was at five years ago.

I am not sure what they could do, apart from buying advertising and links by the thousand to displace my website.

This of course is something that they can do. You would have to check to see if you have new links pointing to your site and inspect them.

Original content alone will not make a site rank well. Good marketing will. Have you seen any traffic growth at all this year?

Traffic so far this year: 

January  up 38%          February up 10%      March     up  6%

April       down 2.5%      May     down 6%      June    up     3%

July     down 13%         August up     13%     Sept    down 5.4% 

Overall since Jan-Sept 2013 traffic (from analytics) up 45%;  but still down  52% overall on previous high in April 2012 (pre penguin)

Regarding  marketing I have been actively promoting my blog and this is giving traffic to my webiste and also a forum is generating traffic too around 12% of thre total a month.  21% Direct, 17% Referral remainder is Search traffic.

Regarding the links to my website, I would have no way of knowing if they were "good"  "bad"  or "neutral"

Is there a tool?  Surely Google can warn webmasters if they are linked form "bad websites"