Sign in to follow this  
JASPER

Please let me know what you think of my new Blog site

I have got the hang of Wordpress and my blog is up any running now and have added a bit of design away from the standard theme.

I realise I may have a way to go, but would be interested in any views, opinions and advice you may have.

I now have 40 blog posts added and it has been live since May 2013.

http://www.new-home-blog.co.uk/

Have you considered buying a theme? http://themeforest.net/item/newspaper/full_screen_preview/5489609 The look seems a little old.

I would provide summaries instead of the full entry on the home page. I'd also recommend using Yoast as a SEO plugin along with a social media sharing plugin. "Share This" is one that I like. 

Thanks Fabio.

I quite like this theme, does what I need although I agree it does look a bit "wordpress"

Good idea about summaries on page 1 although I have no idea how to do this.

The "share this" button is a good idea too.

Thanks Fabio

Good idea about summaries on page 1 although I have no idea how to do this.

Using a native Wordpress theme you can use the "more" tag. http://en.support.wordpress.com/splitting-content/more-tag/

Otherwise, look for a plugin by searching for "excerpt" in the plugin area of your Wordpress install.

Some themes automatically come with the ability to show summaries on the home page.

OK,

I've added an RSS icon, the Hare This buttons and changed the menu colour on hover to something more gentle now.

I have also used the more tag to reduce post sizes on the "home" front page.

I have added a widget fir a Contact Form too.

These pages are now page title and page title/#more-677  would/does this count as duplicate content?

47 posts and counting with two more "in the can" ready for later this week.

It's not that bad. I like its simplicity, yet I have a feeling it lacks something, maybe some widgets, vivid graphics that would grab attention, something like that. Also I think you need to make posts preview with the "read more" button, as your post are quite long and one needs to scroll down to see the entire list of posts available on a page. Also I would recommend to integrate the "back/scroll to top" button for better user experience.

Thank you for the tips.

I already have the read more function for the "Home Page" and use it after the first three posts.

I like the idea of a back/scroll to the top button and will look for a widget.

The Blog is more about the content than entertaining people, but I am thinking of getting some YouTube videos to support my work..