Sign in to follow this  
JASPER

Wordpress help needed PLEASE!

Before, my wordpress blog was hosted via an Click & Build app as the destination of the Domain.

This was no good as I couldnt back up the database and could not access anything uploaded via ftp.

(links to files in the websoace would not work)

Morew importanatly, i couldnt update wordpress!.

So i got 1&1 to back up my database 2.2MB.

Then it wouldnt let me uploaded it to the new database I had created.

In the end 1&1 uploaed it stragnely the file sixe now is just 494KB.

I then transfered the wordpress files from a download to my PC  using ftp.

Added the new database details and there it is a standard wordpress welcome page!

Where is all my work?

I have tried using the old (existing) Wordpress download and I just get a blank page.

I have tried changing the wp=confg.php using the new database numbers etc in the old Wordpress still blank page.

I have tried uploading the old wp-admin and wp-content to the recent wordpress download (which gave me the welcome page) but this made it dispapear returned as a blank page when I put the url in my browser.

can anyone suggest what files i need to change to get this to work.

The desination folder is correct each time I try something.

Do you still have access to the old database or do you have an older backup?

When you say a standard Wordpress page, do you mean it looks like a fresh install?

Yes I have downloaded the 'dump file' of my previous database which 1&1 say is a copy of my wordpress blog database.

The standard wordpress page yes frsh install, with no themes, menus or posts!

I am wondering which of the files in wp-admin or wp-content stop Wordpress from working.

I have got the wordpress site working www.new-home-blog.co.uk

However, none of my posts or customisations are there.

1&1 are useless and I think they have lost my database.

They transfered it total 0.49MB.

I made one post with a few tweaks and now it is 0.89MB

I got sent this as  a reply yesterday:

"We sincerely apologize for the confusion. We have further checked your case and we found out that the Database that you have requested for a back up was the database of your previous wordpress site that was installed via Click and Build. We would like to inform you that if you are going to migrate your wordpress site from Click and Build application to a manually installed one, you will also need to export the themes, posts, and other things that are part of wordpress from the Wordpress Dashboard. Database is not enough. The reason on why the themes and posts from your previous Wordpress site are not existing in your manually installed Wordpress is because you only have imported the database"

There is no method to "export" in the Wordpress dashboard.

From what you say Fabio, and as I think, the posts are in the database and what they are saying is just plain wrong.

I just changed the domain destination to the old Wordpress that I had used amnd guess what? still no posts!

definietly the database and the post are no where in the Wordpress dashboard!

The reason on why the themes and posts from your previous Wordpress site are not existing in your manually installed Wordpress is because you only have imported the database"

Wow! And where do they think the posts are stored? 

There is no method to "export" in the Wordpress dashboard.

There is. Go to Tools in the left hand menu and place your cursor over it. You'll see that there is an option to export. 

You can only export the content and menus from there, not the theme. To export the theme you need to grab it via FTP, but it seems that you've already done that. Since the database is empty, you'll have to activate the theme that you had to see it live. 

I know bloody unbeliveable!  It would appear they havea "second level support team"

The first level presumably dioesnt know what they are doing lol!

However, now they have admitted it:

"This message is to inform you that your Wordpress site at http://www.new-home-blog.co.uk/ is now showing all of the previous posts on the Click & Build site. I looked at the database and found several tables with a prefix of "jjee93rczdwp_". Our Click & Build will automatically create this table prefix and the wp-config.php script did not specify this table prefix. I edited this line in your wp-config.php script and now all of your posts appear. The only remaining issue is that your previous posts referenced images that do not appear in those exact URLs. My suggestion would be to use the Wordpress Dashboard and assign the correct images you need to each page. Those images still exist on the webserver but they need to be assigned again. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this confusing issue. If you need additional assistance, please reply back to this case number as you will come back through to our second level support team."

They have offered me just £11.97 (2 months hosting) as compensation! 

Even though I have been lied to and misled through their lack of knowledge.

My Theme is activated.

I now have a problem with the post links not working at all.

And then I have to get the plugins all back and set too let alone the image issue.

Update:

Right it is nearly all back up now.

They 1&1 managed to get the post titles back, with links working  but none of the images are there and most of the posts were incomplete, so I spent yesterday 'cut and pasting' the posts and images back up.

This time I will download a back up myself regularly (now I can).

I rejected 1&1 offer and they have now agreed to 1 year free hosting (worth £72) which I have accepted.

One final question:

My domain destination is the folder that contains the Wordpress files.

When I do a link in a post to a pdf on my domain it comes back 'error 404'.

I ahve even put the pdf in the 'wordpress files folder' and it still comes back 'error 404'.

Strange or what?