WiseWebmaster

OpenOffice

Seeing the big players are going for cloud and subscription services I'm looking for alternates to becoming their slave.

A long time ago I looked at OpenOffice but wasn't motivated to learn a new piece of software.  It came to mind again with this announcement on Gizmo's Freeware site (now known as techsupportalert.com) The Latest Version Of The Best-Known Free Office Suite (OpenOffice).

Anyone using OpenOffice?

I was using OpenOffice until I purchased my new PC. I had been using it for years. Overall I was fairly satisfied, but. I've been working with spreadsheets a lot more, downloading CSV files and working with the data. The import is ugly into OpenOffice. I tried Excel using their 30 day free trial for Office 365 and it was a thing of beauty. Easy to import and clean. I've decided that I will pay the monthly fee for Office 365 since it's made a big difference in how I work. Plus, I like the cloud aspect. I can work on my desktop and then go to my laptop and work on the same file. 

If you haven't tried OpenOffice, go for it. 

Well I haven't been impressed with the new Excel.  Some suppliers provided data with it.  Opens in the browser and you can't select the information to put in your own copy of Excel plus if download is available the convertor I have right from MS fails (for Word too lately).