Fabio Cuffaro

Dreamweaver - Subscription only

Since I am now using Windows 8 with my new PC some of my programs no longer work because they aren't compatible. I visited the Adobe website looking for pricing. I was getting confused because the only type of pricing that I was able to find were subscriptions. You are not able to buy the standalone software. You have to subscribe.

I started doing some searching and came across more information on the service. I found this entry on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Creative_Cloud#Criticism_of_Creative_Cloud. The part that I really found disturbing was this 

Customers must pay a monthly subscription fee and if they stop paying, they will lose access to the software as well as to the work they saved in proprietary file format,[34][35] which is not backward-compatible with the Creative Suite[36][37] (Adobe admitted that this is a valid concern[38]). In addition, they will not be able to retrieve their files from the cloud once the subscription has expired.[39] They must have Internet connection[40] to download the software and to use the 2GB of provided storage space (or the additionally purchased 20GB[41]), and must validate the license monthly.[42]

I learned some basic designing skills with Dreamweaver and I really hate the idea of not using it, but I'm not going to be a prisoner to a company who holds my files captive. I'll be looking into new software and will consider Corel. This is their offer for an HTML editor http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod4870070&cid=catalog50008&segid=7800004&storeKey=ca&languageCode=en

Are you using an HTML editor or a photo editor other than Dreamweaver and Photoshop? If so, what are you using?

Corel is moving to a subscription model also.  Have a look at the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6 There is a subscription tab on that page.

There was a huge uproar about the Adobe subscription model when it came out.  Particularly by those who are not big shops.

I also will not be subscribing to any programs that hold you hostage.

I would stick to learning to code by hand.  That way you only need a plain text editor.

What version of Dreamweaver are you trying to run on Win8?