JASPER

Considering changing domain name and starting over after Penguin

Having been frustrated beyond measure, I am now considering changing the domain name of my seven year old website and starting over.

I realise I will lose all my back links.

I could do this in stages using 301 re directs to the new domain name deleting the same content pages on the old domain as I go, which I think would be the best solution.

I have 170 contewnt rich pages  and could probably split the existing website in half.

brand-newhomes.co.uk could become the "before you buy"

and my new domain - newhomeexpert.co.uk could become the "after you move in" website to visit.

Would 'cross linking' benefit both websites if using 301 re directs?

Would this help me get higher serps and be a solution for Penguin - my traffic is still half what it was before the original Penguin.

Dividing the content might help you focus better for specific target audiences instead of trying to be too much on one site.

Are you absolutely sure you have been hit with Penguin?

Since Penguin and Panda target two different issues, it’s extremely important to know the exact algorithm update that hit your website. Panda targets low quality content, thin content, duplicate content, etc., while Penguin targets webspam (and at this point it’s heavily targeting unnatural inbound links). So, if you incorrectly believe you were hit by Penguin and start addressing links, then you would be wasting your time… On the flip side, if you incorrectly believe you were hit by Panda and start addressing low quality content, then you could also be wasting your time.

Penguin or Panda? How To Determine Which Google Algorithm Update Impacted Your Website

When moving to new domain it is important to use 301 redirection from old domains to not lose your traffic if it is possible, but as for higher serps I doubt it will be helpful especially if your old domains are violating google rules

Yes I was hit on 24 April 2012, it was Penguin.

I dont have any duplicate or low quality content on my webvsite and no one has copied any of it.

I have dealt with one or two sites that pinched a page or so.

I can only think it is bad incoming links as I have no control over this. I got most of the sites multiple linking taken down.

I dont know of any google "rules" the website pages "violate" 

What they should do is penalise just the pages breaking the rules not the whole domain!

Will the 301 re directs dircet Penguin to the new domain?

WW.

Do you think my webiste is too big?

I have a search bar and a site map.

301 redirects will redirect incoming traffic, outstanding incoming links to the old location that are clicked and the search engine bots to the new location.

Not that your site is too big, just thought it would help you get targeted traffic to the specific areas you cover.

In Webmaster Tools, have you received any messages from Google about links?

It could be that it was the Panda update and not the Penguin update that has affected your site. Big difference between the two.

Also, are you writing new content?

I have suspended writing new content for the website.

It takes so long and last years efforts have not brought the desired results.

I do write new stuff for my blog website and forum posts and link to the website through these.

I may start wriyting new content for my new website: newhomexpert soon too.

I have no duplicate content and having also checked using copyscape recently, have none copied by others on the www,

So it can it be a Panda issue? 

I have never received any messages about links from Google.

I also did a reconsideration request and on 6 August 2012 Google confirmed "

"We reviewed your site and found no manual actions by the webspam team that might affect your site's ranking in Google. There's no need to file a reconsideration request for your site, because any ranking issues you may be experiencing are not related to a manual action taken by the webspam team."

I am out of ideas.

OK, well based on the reply from Google you weren't hit from Penguin.

The Panda update knocked out blog networks, article directories, etc.. Links that were coming in from these sites and were helping you to rank are no longer valid. The drop in organic traffic is due to that and possibly other factors.

I do write new stuff for my blog website and forum posts and link to the website through these.

Have you seen an increase in traffic on your blog site?

My blog site : Yes, 0 to around 20 a day in around six weeks.

It is going quite nicely for a new URL/wesbite.

Traffic crash came the day after Penguin 24 April 2012.

So I dont think I got hit by Panda 1 or 2.