JASPER

Why posting on forums can be a waste of time

Those of us who have a  forum know how annoying and time consuming it can be stopping spammers and deleting accounts and moderation in general.

However, why do some forums throw the baby out with the bathwater?

I have been banned twice from these two forums:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com  and housepricecrash.co.uk/forum

AVOID BOTH AND DONT WASTE YOUR TIME HELPING PEOPLE ON THEM!

Both are strangely very popular, even though aimed at those with lower than average intelligence in my opinion.

Needless to say, my field of knowledge was a great contribution to both forums and I was "thanked" many times.

Both do not allow linking to any websites (unless you have posted 1000 post or something.)

Both do not alow a website signature link either.

So I put as my signature  "Brand New Homes  - Consumer Information for UK new Home buyers."

Apparently this is "signature spamming" even though it was as text and not a link!

Obviously in some of my posts, I needed to refer  where people could get more information again without linking or listing a website (in fact the word "website" is banned!), and even this was not allowed.

Worse, I actuallly wasted 90mins on the moneysavingexpert Forum on Saturday before being banned. No warning, no chance to re edit.

Worse, all my helpful posts were  deleted. the 10 I did that day and the previous 30 done over the last month or so.

My website is non-commercial and is purely to help,people. 

So be aware some Forums ban you for helping others!

Another thing, posting on forums cannot be considered permanent either.

You may spend many many hours over a long period of time posting on a particular forum only to find one day it is gone.

This happend to me. I made over 1000 posts over a two year period.

The forum owner tells me that he was in dispute with his web designer/host over a £54 non payment.

This went unpaid and so the url registration lapsed.  I even asked if I could buy the database but it is gone.

Even worse the owner actually got quite a bit of work referals from his forum and has lost business over such a small amount.

For me, I spent a great deal of time and have nothing to show for it.

This is one of the reasons I spend most of my time working on things I have control over - my own sites.

WW.

2575 posts on this forum alone!

What do you think I do with the other 23 hours in a day? ^_^

Great job WW  where can I apply when you retire?