Sign in to follow this  
JASPER

.htaccess for 301 re directs

I am  having HUGE PROBLEMS with my website host Streamline. (aka Fasthosts)
They seem incapable of understanding my problem.

When I transfer the .htaccess file   as .htaccess   my website does not work and gives
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log

Streamline are telling me this:
"We're afraid we have limitation with Apache configurations using .htaccess. Currently it is only the Mod_rewrite rule is supported, if there are other commands added or if it is misconfigured, it will returns error 500."

Their FAQ says:
"An htaccess file is a simple ASCII file, such as you would create through a text editor like NotePad.
.htaccess is the file extension. It is not file.htaccess or somepage.htaccess, it is simply named .htaccess
htaccess files must be uploaded as ASCII mode, not BINARY. You may need to CHMOD the htaccess file to 644 or (RW-R--R--). This makes the file usable by the server. Currently .htaccess is only supported on the Linux server.
Most commands in htaccess are meant to be placed on one line only, so if you use a text editor that uses word-wrap, make sure it is disabled or it might throw in a few characters that can cause the Apache to end.
Unfortunately there are only certain commands that are supported on the Linux server, these are
•Mod_rewrite
htaccess is an Apache technology, and not a Windows technology."

I have no idea what any of this means!
The last time using 1&1 - I uploaded the .htaccess file using the 1&1  control panel not using my ftp program.
I don't seem to have access to the webspace on the server using the Streamline control panel.

The only "help" they are giving is to suggest I look at blogs and seek help from the "online community"
I keep telling them it is not a coding or script issue  - I think I know how to do that.

Can anyone suggest how or where I need to upload my .htaccess file to?
I have had a look at cpanel and it looks very complicated to me.

I have sorted it!   It was the .htaccess STREAMLINE use for the erro 404 re direct page.

The code is not correct for Linux and messes the website up.

Not that Streamilne were any help, I found and deleted it to fix the issue!

By the way, thanks for all your help with this everyone!