WiseWebmaster

Directory Links Still Work These Days

But....

No two niches are the same , so the value of directory links is in different for every niche. As long as directory links are a part and parcel of a diverse linking profile, it makes sense to cherry-pick some of the more active ‘human-edited’ directories. Compared to the ‘human-edited’ directories, automated directory scripts that are set to auto-accept all linking requests are actually no different than link farms; avoid wasting your time.

Directory Links Still Work These Days

I would think that human edited local business directories would do well in the search engines. They would be focused and not full of a bunch of spam ads. It would also depend on how well the site is constructed also.

I think that submitting your site to directories can still be worthwhile, as long as it is done selectively. Choosing directories that are well trafficked and keeping submissions to a reasonable volume should remain beneficial. I agree that local directories are a great option not only for their narrow focus, but the emphasis SE's have been putting into local search as of late.