WiseWebmaster

DYI Product Photography

One of the best ways to sell an item on your site is to have good photographs of the item. Even include a couple of views of the item if applicable.

Not everyone can afford professional photography for their store items so this thread is going to be a resource for creating your own product photography.

Edited by WiseWebmaster

Found this great set of product photograpy tips! Product photography - how to improve your product photos

Covers:

• Jewelry Photography (3 sections)
  • Bead Photography
  • Glass Photography
  • Clothing Photography
  • Flower Photography
  • Coin Photography
  • 3D Object Photography
  • Silver Photography
  • Watch Photography
  • Crystal Photography

I love the lightbox tutorial - I do a fair amount of product reviews on my blog and could definitely use some stepped up photography. I'll have to see what I can do to get a proper setup going. Thanks for posting these tips, I will be keeping an eye on this thread!

I have a commercially made one like this one: http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoLightboxViewing/221978/cameron-digital-photo-box-16.aspx but has 4 colours for backgrounds.

Most light tent/box tutorials use a white sheet or paper. A photographer told me to use blue or green for the background so it is easier to edit the background.to match the colour of your website/blog background.

My problem/question is: how do you remember where/how you had the lights, camera, etc. placed to get that perfect shot the next time you want to do a set of pictures when you don't have the space to leave the setup up.

Someone added this to StumbleUpon cycle: FluidMask for removing backgrounds in your images. They have a cheaper version: Bling It geared towards Ebayers.

Anyone used either of these?

Removing backgrounds on product images is kind of hard and time consuming in Photoshop or PSP so I'd be interested if someone tried these and had good results.

New at Digital Photography School: DIY Lighting Hacks for Digital Photographers

Most of us can’t afford a full lighting rig – however what if there was a way to experiment with the type of lighting gear that pro photographers use without spending too much money? What if you could make it yourself.

In this post I’ve found 10 DIY Flash and Lighting Hacks that put some of these lighting techniques within the grasp of the rest of us. Some are more involved than others but all are fun and will provide you with some new lighting gear to experiment with.

In order to come up with great photos for your shop or blog you must have a good camera. I wonder what are you using for snapping photos? What brand or model specifically?

Krystal

You don't have to have an expensive camera to take good shots. Just a bit of talent, some practice and some luck. I know a semi pro that has expensive cameras and shoots 100s of pictures and then dumps half of them. <_<

I have an HP Photosmart R607, a tripod and a light tent.

Edited by WiseWebmaster

Did you know that you already have enough items in your house to build a small photography studio for yourself? Granted, it won’t be the best setup in the world. Your friends might laugh when they see how you’ve managed to rig it all together. But who’s laughing when you’re taking amazing studio portraits they could only dream of doing? If you’ve always wanted to get better at studio photography without paying extra money, look out for these six items.

6 Household Items To Create A Home Photo Studio