JASPER

How to get memebers to POST on forums

I am not telling but asking!

I have over 100 members but only around 15 have made any posts.

Some of these have made one post to ask a question and then never return to see the answers.

Others just register an account and never use it.

They are not all spammers, some even upload their own picture avatar and complete all sections of their profile yet they make no posts.

I have posted lots of topics and have two general sectiosn for members to use. yet no takers.

The forum has been up since June and would be dead if it wasnt for myself and two others.

How can I get members to join in and post?

Others just register an account and never use it.

They are not all spammers, some even upload their own picture avatar and complete all sections of their profile yet they make no posts.

Are your profile pages viewable without logging in? Can the search bots get to them?

There are services that do what is called profile spamming. They create forum profiles just to get the link back from the "your home page" or "your blog" sections of the user profile.

How to you get people to post? Hmm, a problem on lots of forums. There are usually regulars that do. Are you asking questions at the end of the post? This is a technique for bloggers to get people to comment on their posts but should work for forum posts also.

Unfortunately what you are describing is not too uncommon. For whatever reason many legitimate accounts are set up and never used. I ran a forum for about two years and it took that entire time to build up even a small group of posters. The tough thing is that people wont post on empty or inactive forums, but how then can it get going in the first place!

My best advice would be to just keep at it, and the posts will come. Make sure to keep a steady flow of new threads and responses and as the quantity of content builds, people will be more likely to join in. It takes consistent and prolonged efforts between the owner and some friends to really get a forum kicked off.

Thanks for the advice.

I like the idea of asking a question at the end of a topic and will give that a go.

It is not possible to view profiles without being logged in. I diont know about search bots.

What I have done is deleted any website URL or link in a new profile. Members have to make 15 posts before links are allowed.

Profile spamming seems a lot of work for very little in return. But as I said quite a few dont even do this yet dont post.

Just so you know,

I can get to your member's profiles. http://www.brand-newhomes.co.uk/forum/smf/index.php e.g. clicked BobTB in the home page of the forum under Welcome section list and can see his profile.

You don't have any nofollow attributes on the links in their profile, or in the threads. i.e. the bots will follow all links.

Thanks for this. I have changed the permission for guests so they cant view profiles without registering.

In any case no one gets a link in a profile. I delete all links until 15 genuine relevant posts have been made.

It is an extra thing to do each day but worth it I think. I do say in the T&Cs that links are not allowed until 15 posts but they still do it!

I have an anti spam modification that stops the auto registeration spamming.