JASPER

Forum URL choice

Since I set up my forum, I have noticed that quite a few forums have a different URL to the main website.

This one is forum.massivelinks.com. Different from massivelinks.com.

I would have thought that it would be better if the visitors to the forum are part of the website URls overall popularity helping it gain importance in serps etc.

For example since my forum was launched last month I now have sitelinks under my webpage in serps for "brand new homes".

One disadvantage is that the forum analytics are mixed with the main website pages and ther are now a lot of them although I think I may be able to set up analytics to separate this thinking about it.

Use a different Analytics code for the forum portion of the site to separate the results/information.

Regarding the folder vs subdomain issue:

I wouldn't change it now if you have site links.

Whether it is in a folder or subdomain is an organizational thing. At one time it was believed that a sub domain was like a separate domain but now there is conflicting information floating around how subdomains are treated.

"Use a different Analytics code for the forum portion of the site to separate the results/information."

Thats a good idea! Thanks WW