JASPER

Members regsitering but not posting

Even though it has been just a week some 10 members have registered on my forum but none of them has made a post yet.

They have lots of info on their profiles including links etc.

Is there a program that finds forums & registers members automatically.

The Forum I use is SMF and it has a CAPCHA so i think they are manual regsistrations.

They all have strange usernames like:

xdyqwe5E1A1

giskmooevu

Bypedreld

amrkmooevg

axotbargo

I dont want to ban them as they havent posted.

But I am worried that these "registrations" wil be sold on to spammers and I will get plagued by spam posts.

Should I just delete all accounts if no initial post is made at the time of registration.

I certainly would not register on a forum and then not post.

Yes there are programs to automatically register at forums (and some services do it manually).

Is the info in their profile spammy? Like they just filled out the profile for the link back to their site?

Having CAPTCHA and double optin doesn't seem to stop them unfortunately.

Unfortunately cutting down on spam registrations is one of the most difficult parts to running a forum. When I was running mine last year I was probably getting a dozen or so a day who would never post or fill out a profile at all. I used to delete many of them periodically but you always wonder if some are legitimate. Are you able to see where the accounts are registered from? Many times there are a whole bunch from the same location or questionable email extension that can be a good clue.

Unfortunately cutting down on spam registrations is one of the most difficult parts to running a forum. When I was running mine last year I was probably getting a dozen or so a day who would never post or fill out a profile at all. I used to delete many of them periodically but you always wonder if some are legitimate. Are you able to see where the accounts are registered from? Many times there are a whole bunch from the same location or questionable email extension that can be a good clue.

You are right about the e mails! When I banned 3 yesterday for link posting, I have had 30 MailUndelivered" e mail confirmations from one e mail url using different prefixes before the @url.com

And like you I am wondering whether deleting an account that hasnt posted may be genuine, but then again why havent they posted?

I am thinking about adding "Please post now in the member introductions or elsewhere or your account could be deleted" or something like that.

A thought:

Some forums I visit if I haven't posted in X amount of time there is a message saying you haven't posted in a while. I think it also said something like "Why don't you introduce yourself" until I did an intro post. Not sure how they keep track of this though.

I have added a great MOD to the SMF forum that means anyone registering has their Ip address, e mail address and username checked against the STOPFORUMSPAM.com database.

It seesm to have sorted out the problem for me at the moment.

I have added a great MOD to the SMF forum that means anyone registering has their Ip address, e mail address and username checked against the STOPFORUMSPAM.com database.

It seesm to have sorted out the problem for me at the moment.

Good thought checking registrations against a SPAM database. I did that once and it made a huge difference right away.

Good thought checking registrations against a SPAM database. I did that once and it made a huge difference right away.

It hasnt stopped people (i presume) registering anyway. I have a high level capcha (even I cant read uit sometimes!) and this has slowed it down a bit.

-mainly Canadian Pharmacy websites!

MESSAGE: so if you a reading this you spammers, you should have checked the FORUM RULES because I will start charging you the admin fee for removing your spam!

I have changed the spam filter to one that requires a human being to answer a question like

What state is Hollywood in?

It works a treat, so many Canadian pharmacies are going to go out of business now!

I have changed the spam filter to one that requires a human being to answer a question like

What state is Hollywood in?

It works a treat, so many Canadian pharmacies are going to go out of business now!

LOL, glad to hear it is working now. I am surprised that the captcha wasn't enough. I would think that they were using manual entry, but they should be able to figure out a question too. Perhaps they just had very good character recognition built into their bot.

LOL, glad to hear it is working now. I am surprised that the captcha wasn't enough. I would think that they were using manual entry, but they should be able to figure out a question too. Perhaps they just had very good character recognition built into their bot.

Capchas are so last year! No seriously, the bots can overcome capchas now. They are all but useless.