JASPER

SEO for forums

Apart from the obvious link building is their anything from an SEO point of view Forum owners should be doing?

I note on here that each thread has it's keywords automatically taken from the post and the title etc.

Does this mean each thread is a new webpage as far as the search engines are concerned?

If this is the case, then would a wide range of topics on a forum, not related to the main website's content, broaden the keyword topic search base and result in an increase in traffic to the parent website?

Apart from the obvious link building is their anything from an SEO point of view Forum owners shpould be doing?

Create your categories with keyword names.

For the description blurb - include a description which includes the keywords.

Does this mean each thread is a new webpage as far as the search engines are concerned?

Yes. When someone does a Google search and your page(s) suit the search it will be listed as a single page and sometimes if you have similar threads on the same topic links to those will also be listed under the first one.

If this is the case, then would a wide range of topics on a forum, not related to the main website's content, broaden the keyword topic search base and result in an increase in traffic to the parent website?

I think keeping things on topic and well organized would serve a forum best. Keep the not applicable stuff out of the main sections and the social chit chat in a separate section.

For me personally, having everthing all mixed up (informtion threads and marketplace type threads) makes it hard to find what you are looking for. Sorted by theme works best for me. I don't think I am much different from anyone else. Everyone is time conscience and anything to get to the info you want would be beneficial.

Create your categories with keyword names.

For the description blurb - include a description which includes the keywords.

Yes. When someone does a Google search and your page(s) suit the search it will be listed as a single page and sometimes if you have similar threads on the same topic links to those will also be listed under the first one.

I think keeping things on topic and well organized would serve a forum best. Keep the not applicable stuff out of the main sections and the social chit chat in a separate section.

For me personally, having everthing all mixed up (informtion threads and marketplace type threads) makes it hard to find what you are looking for. Sorted by theme works best for me. I don't think I am much different from anyone else. Everyone is time conscience and anything to get to the info you want would be beneficial.

I think I have it in order and appearance about right now:

Have a loook at http://www.brand-newhomes.co.uk/forum/smf/index.php

Looks good so far.

Think I'd move the chit chat section lower down though. (General Categories) The bots read pages from the top down.

Here we call rental properties income properties but do with what your target audience uses.

I think it is looking good! I agree that moving the general section down may be a good idea so that both your readers and the SE's can quickly see your main focus. Other than that the category names look good and keyword rich.

One other suggestion non SEO related is to condense the categories a bit if posting seems slow. I have found that users are more willing to post on a forum that appears more active, and condensing can sometimes help in the beginning.

I think it is looking good! I agree that moving the general section down may be a good idea so that both your readers and the SE's can quickly see your main focus. Other than that the category names look good and keyword rich.

One other suggestion non SEO related is to condense the categories a bit if posting seems slow. I have found that users are more willing to post on a forum that appears more active, and condensing can sometimes help in the beginning.

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering about the position of the General section myself.

I had thought that putting it at the top may mean I get more memebers as subjects are not so defined but i will move it to lower down.

Re the other point: I am trying to populate most subjects but like everything else it takes time but it is a good point. I had already done it with the House Builders section.