Sign in to follow this  
kms1167

Running a Community in Joomla

Currently I am using Community Builder as a framework for my Joomla based Community, with mixed feelings. Out of the box the component is very rough and takes a lot of customization which is of course good and bad. It has a lot of additional modules and plugins to really improve on its base design and has been around for a long time, making it interact nicely with most other Joomla components. Despite all this I am wondering if there is a better (possibly simpler to set up) component.

I know that there are several other options, such as Joomunity, Jomsocial and I have been hearing a lot of talk about the development of Anahita. Does anyone have any experience or insight into the pros and cons of some of these other community components?

I've never worked with Joomla or any of its modules but I could tell you one thing, any CMS and community software package will need lots of work, there is nothing out there that is really easy. The reason for this is that most software development communities/companies specialize in one thing and that is either the community software or the CMS.

What are you using Joomla for, blogging?

Do you want to build a forum style community or more of a social network style, like Facebook?

I used to build a lot of sites using Joomla, but I have never played around with any of the community components. For my intents and purposes, Wordpress has proved to be a much more effecient platform to work with. I do have one site hat uses wordpress multi-user and buddy press, but I am sure it is nothing close to what you have got going on. I took a look at the others you suggested and joomunity looks pretty cool, but I don't know if it would be any easier on the admin side.

Having a lot to configure is not always a bad thing, this can lead to lot more control over your end product, but frustrating all the same I am sure.

What are you using Joomla for, blogging?

Do you want to build a forum style community or more of a social network style, like Facebook?

My site was originally built around product reviews, both editor and user submitted. There is already a topic forum and the community component was a way to tie it all together. I suppose I am looking for somewhat of a social network style, although that really isn't crucial to the site. Currently when a user visits the community section it serves as their overall site profile - user info, forum posting history, submitted and favorited reviews, etc. It serves its purpose and is a way for users to find others with similar interests.

Joomla may definitely not have been the best way for me to put this all together, but it was something that was not entirely conceptualized when I began. I am happy with it so far though, and have found that it is an easy platform to put together a professional looking site with some advanced features without a whole lot of coding knowledge.

I used to build a lot of sites using Joomla, but I have never played around with any of the community components. For my intents and purposes, Wordpress has proved to be a much more effecient platform to work with. I do have one site hat uses wordpress multi-user and buddy press, but I am sure it is nothing close to what you have got going on. I took a look at the others you suggested and joomunity looks pretty cool, but I don't know if it would be any easier on the admin side.

Having a lot to configure is not always a bad thing, this can lead to lot more control over your end product, but frustrating all the same I am sure.

I played around with Joomunity a while back but it was still early on in its development. I liked where it was going but I needed more functionality than it had at that point. I will most likely stick with community builder at this point as I am happy with it and like you said the extra configuration is probably a good thing in the end. I just need to stop being lazy and really turn it into exactly what I want! From the research I have done I have barely touched its overall functionality so it probably is my best option for now.

Learning Joomla is hard, but once learned it is also one of the best CMS you can use for making virtually any kind of sites

I thought Joomla was rated next only to Wordpress but after going through this discussion i learned about the unique features of Joomla. Thanks a lot.